This week, we have a story about seed conservation in times of war and we discuss multiple aspects of machine learning in molecular biology. Plus cool plant facts and as always: cutting edge cat research.
- Spoon Theory
- Paper of the week: Westengen, O.T., Lusty, C., Yazbek, M. et al. Safeguarding a global seed heritage from Syria to Svalbard. Nat. Plants 6, 1311–1317 (2020).
- Pre-symptomatic detection of COVID-19 from smartwatch data
- Kate Petrova on Twitter: “https://t.co/LHYpwYN4Aw”
- COVID-19 #CoronaVirus Infographic Datapack — Information is Beautiful
- Machine Learning method DeepMind resolves protein structures
- Turns Out, Lots Of Australia’s Mammals Glow Under UV Light
- Plants react to painkillers
- In a study that surprised no one, researchers found that slow-blinking at a cat makes them react more nicely and slow-blink back right at you.
Check out the Plant Book Club on Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart!
Our opening and closing music is Caravana by Phillip Gross
Until next time!